Lucky Irish lottery winners have picked up some gigantic sums over the years courtesy of Irish Lotto and EuroMillions. Take a look at some of the largest lottery wins claimed across the Republic of Ireland.
The biggest Irish Lotto jackpot ever won was worth 18.9 million and was won in 2008 by a syndicate of workers from the Dan Morrissey quarry in Co Carlow. The group was made up of 15 men and one woman from the garage section of the plant, who played a 32 Quick Pick entry in the draw on Saturday 28th June 2008. Other notable Irish Lotto winners include:
- The biggest jackpot prize awarded to a single ticket holder was worth 16.7 million and was won on 14th April 2010 by a couple from Dungarvan, Co Waterford.
- A ticket holder from Donnybrook, Dublin won 16.3 million on October 23rd 2010.
- The Cunningham family from Cork claimed £16.1 million in July 2007.
- A family from Belmullet in Co Mayo picked up £13.7 million in the Irish Lotto draw on Saturday 23rd January 2016.
EuroMillions has been played in Ireland since October 2004 and the country has produced a number of jackpot wins in that time, the largest being the 115.4 million won by part-time cleaning lady and mother of six Dolores McNamara of Limerick on 29th July 2005. Other big Irish EuroMillions wins include:
- On 25th June 2013, an Irish ticket holder split a jackpot of 187.9 million with a Belgian player to win 93.9 million. The lucky winner opted for anonymity, but admitted to being thrilled.
- On 19th September 2014, an anonymous syndicate from Dublin won a EuroMillions jackpot worth 86.7 million. After calling lottery officials to confirm their win, the group stated that they were on top of the world.
- On 29th January 2016, an unnamed Irish ticket holder shared a EuroMillions top prize of 132 million with a French ticket holder. The player, who banked 66 million, became the fourth-largest jackpot winner in Irish history at the time.
- On Tuesday 24th January 2017, a syndicate from Dublin won 88.5 million. They chose to remain anonymous.