Lucky Irish lottery winners have picked up some gigantic sums over the years courtesy of Irish Lotto and EuroMillions. Take a look at some of the largest lottery wins claimed across the Republic of Ireland.
The biggest Irish Lotto jackpot ever won was worth €18.9 million and was won in 2008 by a syndicate of workers from the Dan Morrissey quarry in Co Carlow. The group was made up of 15 men and one woman from the garage section of the plant, who played a €32 Quick Pick entry in the draw on Saturday 28th June 2008. Other notable Irish Lotto winners include:
- The biggest jackpot prize awarded to a single ticket holder was worth €16.7 million and was won on 14th April 2010 by a couple from Dungarvan, Co Waterford.
- A ticket holder from Donnybrook, Dublin won €16.3 million on October 23rd 2010.
- The Cunningham family from Cork claimed £16.1 million in July 2007.
- A family from Belmullet in Co Mayo picked up £13.7 million in the Irish Lotto draw on Saturday 23rd January 2016.
EuroMillions has been played in Ireland since October 2004 and the country has produced nine jackpot wins in that time, the largest being the €115.4 million won by part-time cleaning lady and mother of six Dolores McNamara of Limerick on 29th July 2005. Other big Irish EuroMillions wins include:
- On 25th June 2013, an Irish ticket holder split a jackpot of €187.9 million with a Belgian player to win €93.9 million. The lucky winner opted for anonymity, but admitted to being “thrilled”.
- On 19th September 2014, an anonymous syndicate from Dublin won a EuroMillions jackpot worth €86.7 million. After calling lottery officials to confirm their win, the group stated that they were “on top of the world”.
- On 29th January 2016, an unnamed Irish ticket holder shared a EuroMillions top prize of €132 million with a French ticket holder. The player, who banked €66 million, became the fourth-largest jackpot winner in Irish history.
- Two lucky Irish players didn’t have to hit the jackpot to win it big in the draw held on 17th November 2006. Along with 18 other ticket holders, the two Irish players matched all five main numbers and one Lucky Star to win a €9.6 million share of the incredible €183 million jackpot. Under the previous EuroMillions rules, the jackpot could only roll over for a maximum of 11 consecutive draws and, if there were no jackpot winners in the twelfth draw, the top prize would roll down and be shared evenly between players in the next winning prize tier.